Mudra VigyanPublished Date: 6/14/2023 6:02:50 AM
The Five Elements :
- The Science of Mudras is based on the fundamental principles of life - the 5 elements, or the Panch Mahabhootas.
- Our bodies are also made up of these five elements.
- They are present in fixed proportions. Any imbalance can cause disease.
- There is a lack or excess of these elements due to our current lifestyle, improper eating habits, and impure food and water.
The Universe is made up of five elements.
- Earth (Prithvi)
- Water (Jal)
- Fire (Agni)
- Air (Vayu)
- Space (Akash)
1. Akash - Space Element:
- Occupies the region of the head.
- Related to thought processes.
- Represents Bodily cavities like cranial, paranasal sinuses, ear cavity, the abdominal cavity.
- Also represents space between vertebrae and joints, and other organs.
- Associated with Ear and Hearing.
2. Vayu Element:
- Occupies place between nose and diaphragm.
- Denotes movement of the body and within the body.
- Air represents our thoughts and emotions.
- It is responsible for the movement of electrical impulses along the nerves.
- Associated with touch and skin.
3. Agni - Fire Element:
- Occupies space from navel to chest region.
- Responsible for body temperature and metabolism.
- Fire helps the organs and systems to function.
- Causes thirst, hunger, digestion & assimilation of food.
- Associated with Vision and Eyes.
4. Jal - Water Element:
- Occupies space between navel and thighs.
- Constitutes all body fluids – blood, tears, saliva, digestive juices, urine, semen, and fat, etc.
- Associated with Taste and Tongue.
5. Prithvi - Earth Element:
- Occupies space between thighs and feet.
- Constituent of skin, hair, nails, bones, cartilage, muscles, etc.
- Excess can cause obesity.
- Deficiency causes weight loss.
- Associated with Smell and Nose.