Scientific Name: Withania Somnifera
Higher Classification: Withania
Family Name: Solanaceae
Rank Name: Species
Order Name: Solanales
Origin: India and North Africa
Species: W. somnifera
AshwagandhaPublished Date: 6/17/2023 5:55:07 AM
What is Ashwagandha:
- Ashwagandha is a medicinal herb, acts as an adaptogen that reduces stress, boosts brain function, lowers blood sugar, builds muscle mass, balances cortisol levels, improves sleep, increases male fertility, and reduces anxiety and depression.
- Ashwagandha is a shrub that grows in India and North Africa and is also called "Indian Ginseng" and "Winter cherry". Ashwagandha is a combination of the Sanskrit words "Ashva", meaning horse, and "Gandha", meaning smell. This not only refers to the smell of the root but also alludes to the aphrodisiac properties of the root extract, similar to the strength of a horse. It is one of the most revered ayurvedic herbs and tonic. (More details.)
- Composition: Ashwagandha contains Withania somnifera (WS) include alkaloids (isopelletierine, anaferine, cuseohygrine, anahygrine, etc.), steroidal lactones (withanolides, withaferins) and saponins. Sitoindosides and Acylsterylglucosides in Ashwagandha are anti-stress agents.
- They are available in tablets, capsules, liquid, pills, and powder.
- In powder form, you can consume ½ tablespoon in a cup of tea.
What are its benefits:
- Ashwagandha is an ancient medicinal herb used for relieving stress, improving concentration, increasing body energy levels.
- It also reduces blood sugar levels in diabetic patients.
- It has anti-cancer properties, helps induce apoptosis, programmed death of cancer cells.
- The plant's root extract has many bioactive compounds and thereby exerts antioxidant, anti-inflammatory, and immunomodulatory activities used in the prevention and treatment of many diseases, such as arthritis, impotence, amnesia, anxiety, neurodegenerative and cardiovascular diseases, and others.
- It can reduce cortisol, stress hormone levels, anxiety, depression. It can boost testosterone and increase fertility in men.
- It may also improve body composition and increase strength, reduce inflammation, and may lower cholesterol and triglycerides. It also helps to improve heart health.
- It may help improve brain function and memory.
- Ashwagandha (½ teaspoon) taken in a cup of hot milk twice a day may also help to prevent brittle nails.
- Ashwagandha is the best herb used for glowing skin. The herb is packed with the goodness of antioxidants and fights with the damaging free radicals produced through harmful UV rays from the sun, so that you can get rid of dark spots, wrinkles, aging, etc.
- Ashwagandha is used to treat hair or scalp ailments. Its ability to improve blood circulation to the scalp helps your hair follicles get more nutrients, resulting in stronger and thicker hair. It also brings down the cortisol level by reducing the impact of stress on your body and thereby reducing hair fall and breakage. It boosts the production of hair melanin that gives your hair its natural color.
- For a Vata individual, Ashwagandha is an excellent rejuvenating tonic. Take 1 teaspoon of Ashwagandha in a cup of hot milk twice a day, morning and evening.
- Ashwagandha is a prominent ayurvedic "Rasayana" herb, which acts like anti-stress agents.
- It is known as "Sattvic Kapha Rasayana" Herb.
- Sanskrit: Aswagandha; Hindi: Aswagandh; English: Winter cherry; Malayalam: Amukkuram; Kannada: Hiremaddina gida; Marathi: Askandha