Scientific Name: Cordyceps
Higher Classification: Cordycipitaceae
Rank Name: Genus
Order Name: Hypocreales
CordycepsPublished Date: 6/17/2023 5:55:18 AM
What is Cordyceps:
- Cordyceps is an adaptogenic herb used to boost athletic performance, protect against health problems like asthma, depression, diabetes, fatigue, high cholesterol, and upper respiratory tract infections.
- Cordyceps is a genus of parasitic fungi that grows on the larvae of insects and lives on certain caterpillars in the high mountain regions of China. When these fungi attack their host, they replace their tissue and sprout long, slender stems that grow outside the host’s body. The remains of the insect and fungi have been hand-collected, dried, and used in Traditional Chinese Medicine. it is also known as "Yarsagumba", "Dong chong xia cao", and "CS-4". (More Details)
- Over 400 species of Cordyceps, only two have become the focus of health research: "Cordyceps Sinensis" and "Cordyceps militaris".
- Composition: Cordyceps contains all the essential amino acids, primarily glutamate, arginine, aspartic acid, with notable effects from tryptophan and tyrosine. It also supplies vitamins E, K, B1, B2, and B12, and minerals like potassium, calcium, magnesium, iron, copper, manganese, and zinc. Cordyceps also supply various carbohydrates and fibers, including polysaccharides and oligosaccharides (which feed our body's natural probiotics). Cordyceps also contains sterols, which are an important precursor to substances such as vitamin D.
Natural cordyceps are hard to get and may be expensive. Most supplements are made with cordyceps grown in a laboratory.
What are its benefits:
- It may boost exercise performance. It improves the way body uses oxygen, during exercise.
- It has anti-aging properties. It inhibits the growth of many types of human cancer cells including lung, colon, liver, skin cancers.
- It helps to manage diabetes. It also has a good effect on cholesterol levels.
- It might help to fight inflammation, diseases like heart disease, cancer.
- It is also used for kidney disorders. It also used after a kidney transplant.
- It is also used for liver problems, improving athletic performance, etc.
- It also helps in increasing longevity, erectile dysfunction, female aphrodisiac, etc.
- In Ayurveda, cordyceps is classified as a "Rasayana" herb, which is rejuvenating to "Prana". It supports the endocrine system, nourishing the adrenal and reproductive glands. It also generates "Shukra", or reproductive fluids, such as semen and vaginal fluids, and restores weakened sexual function.
- Cordyceps is "Tridoshic" (safe to all dosha types), and because of its nutritive food-like qualities, it may be consumed for long periods of time without any known side effects.