Scientific Name: Aloe vera
Higher Classification: Aloes
Family Name: Asphodelaceae
Rank Name: Species
Order Name: Asparagales
Aloe VeraPublished Date: 6/17/2023 5:56:06 AM
What is Aloe Vera:
- Aloe Vera is a gel extracted from a cactus-like succulent plant (Aloe) that grows in hot, dry climates. It contains essential vitamins like vitamin A, C, E, B12, B, and choline. The plant also contains minerals like calcium, chromium, copper, selenium, magnesium, manganese, potassium, sodium, zinc, monosaccharides, polysaccharides, hormones, enzymes like compounds. It is mostly applied externally due to its cooling, moisturizing, and soothing properties. Carefully taken in juice form, it may solve indigestion problems and detoxifies the body.(More Details)
What are its benefits:
- Helps soothe seaburn: It has cooling It contains healthful plant compounds.
- Aloe Vera has antioxidant and antibacterial properties. Antioxidants are important for health. Aloe vera gel contains powerful antioxidants belonging to a large family of substances known as polyphenols. These polyphenols, along with several other compounds in aloe vera, help inhibit the growth of certain bacteria that can cause infections in humans.
- Aloe vera is known for its antibacterial, antiviral, and antiseptic properties. This is part of why it may help heal wounds and treat skin problems.
- It accelerates wound healing.
- It reduces dental plaque.
- It reduces constipation.
- It may improve skin and prevent wrinkles.
- It lowers blood sugar levels.
Ayurvedic Properties of Aloe Vera:
- Taste is Bitter, cool, light, and dry in nature, increases "Vata", and decreases Pitta and Kapha.
- It has blood purifying, toxin releasing, powerful anti-wrinkle properties.
- Aloe Vera has "Vata" balancing Properties and "Bhedana" (elemination of feces by breaking hard stools) properties. It helps eliminate hard stools smoothly and manage constipation.
- Aloe Vera has "Deepan" (increase in the digestive fire) Property which manage weight by reducing "Ama" (toxic remains in the body due to improper digestion).
- Aloe Vera helps remove "Ama" (toxic remains in the body due to improper digestion) and controls aggravated "Vata" due to its "Deepan" (appetizer) and "Pachan" (digestive) properties, which helps control high blood sugar level and manage insulin levels, hence It controls diabetes which is due to aggravation of "Vata" and impaired digestion.
- Aloe Vera helps in controlling high cholesterol because of its "Ama" (toxic remains in the body due to improper digestion) reducing property. It also helps to remove blockage from the blood vessels by eliminating toxins. It is also good for Inflammatory Bowel Disease (IBD).
- "Vata" is responsible for the proper functioning of the nervous system and an aggravated Vata can be one of the causes of depression. Aloe Vera has "Vata" reducing property and helps to control depression.
- An aggravation of "Kapha" increases sebum production which clogs the pores. This results in the formation of both white and blackheads. An aggravation of "Pitta" also causes red papules (bumps) and inflammation with pus. A "Kapha-Pitta" dosha skin type can be prone to acne and pimples. Aloe vera balances especially aggravated "Pitta" and reduces inflammation because of its "Ropan" (healing) and Sita (cold) properties. Thus Aloe vera helps control acne.